Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Jewelry Making Process

Some people always ask me how I design jewelry. Since I never had any formal training, I just learn as I go.
I thought it would be interesting to show the process of how a pair of earrings are born at Ippie Design. (If you have any suggestions please feel free to leave comments or contact me!) Here is a snapshot:

First I have to get inspired! With the idea in mind, I start working on a design pattern. In this example, I wanted to create a contemporary pair of earrings that represents nature, wilderness and Africa without looking like the typical African tribal styles. So the first step I took was developing a zebra pattern.


After I decided on the pattern, I design the details of the earrings by sketching it out. (Below is the final sketch of the earrings) Other decisions that need to be made in creating the earrings are the materials (sterling silver & dark oak wood in this case), the size and the finish.


Next step is making the design mold! The pictures below show the casting molds. Casting molds are made from wax and then translated into molds below. You can see the back of the mold before insterting dark oak wood.



And at last...the zebra pattern earrings with inlayed dark oak wood are born!!

1 comment:

Mogura said...

this is very very cool! thanks for the info! pretty neat!