Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Picasso & American Art Exhibition

It was a beautiful, sunny day here in New York City (though the unusual warm weather has been somewhat worrisome). I met up with my friend Cynthia (she is also a model for ippie Design, some of her photos will be on ippie.com shortly) to checkout the Picasso Exhibition at the Whitney Museum in Manhattan’s Upper East Side.

I am not going to lie. I can rarely understand Picasso’s paintings. I always try to find the meanings behind a piece of art, but I always realize that art is something we can all enjoy and love visually without understanding the story behind it, if there are any stories

I am fascinated by Picasso’s Cubism work. The integration of multiple views and perspectives, geometric reconstruction of objects, merging of figures, backgrounds and time made his work so interesting to look at. It inspires my mind to wonder and to imagine all the different interpretations I get from his artwork, and that is what I enjoy the most. It feels like a puzzle and I’m trying to piece it together.

This Exhibition showcases not only Picasso’s work, but also many work from a diverse group of American artists who are directly influenced by Picasso. You can find paintings from artists such as Roy Lichtenstein, Jasper Johns, Jackson Pollock and explanations of how Picasso inspired them and their artwork. Overall, it is a very interesting exhibition; it ends on January 28, 2007. So check it out!

No comments: